Notice: Sources often remove their news links after a period of time. Some of them move older stories to a subscription-only section. Even if the story is no longer on line, our summary will still be available on this page.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T: Should Christians "Respect" Other Religions?
May 15, 2009 - During his visit to Jordan, Pope Benedict XVI spoke of his "respect" for Islam. This statement is very different from his 2006 speech at Germany's Regensburg University. At that time he qouted Byzantine Emperor Manuel II, who said: "Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached."
When the Pope speaks of respect for Islam, does he mean believe that Muslims can be saved through the teachings of Islam? Albert Mohler thinks he probably does because the Roman Catholic Church officially teaches that Muslims are "included in the plan of salvation" by virtue of their claim to "hold the faith of Abraham."
Mohler reminds us that Evangelical cannot agree. We may respect the sincerity with which Muslims hold their beliefs, but we cannot respect the beliefs themselves. We can respect their contributions to human welfare, scholarship, and culture.
- But we cannot respect a belief system that denies the truth of the gospel, insists that Jesus was not God's Son, and takes millions of souls captive.
- Source: Albert Mohler - Crosswalk
Questions And Links For Comparative Religions
These are some of the questions that are asked about this topic. Search the links section to find helpful teaching and resources from Christian apologists.
Comparative Religions Links
- A Comparative Analysis Of The Major World Religions From a Christian Perspective
- Answers About Religions - ChristianAnswers.Net
- Virtual Religion Index
- Religious Resources
Apologetics Sites with Comparative Religions Sections
- Apologetics: A Reasoned Defense of Christianity
- Southern Baptist – North American Mission Board
- Apologetics Study Bible
- Biola University - Christian Apologetics Program
- Biola offers a Master of Arts degree in Apologetics. They also conduct certificate programs for their popular "Defending The Faith" lecture series, and support the peer reviewed journal, Philosophia Christi. Dr. Craig Hazen leads the outstanding faculty of this department.
- Christian Answers Net
- Apologetics megasite
- Christian Research Institute (CRI)
- Home of the "Bible Answer Man" radio program with Hank Hanegraaff. Publisher of the "Christian Research Journal." They have a large searchable database with helpful articles on all aspects of apologetics.
- Stand To Reason
- This is the website for "Stand To Reason" radio show and host Greg Koukl. Koukl and other faculty members offer lectures and seminars geared towards helping Christians gain practical tools they need to make a difference in their world.
- To Every Man An Answer
- This is a live call-in radio program that answers your questions about the Bible and the Christian faith.
- Ravi Zacharias International Ministries
- A global ministry that seeks to communicate the Gospel of Jesus Christ to cultural influencers throughout the world.
- Comparative Religions on YouTube
There are a number of user-edited Internet encyclopedias, known as "wikis." These may be very helpful, but because of the input of multiple editors, they may be incorrect. Go to any of these wikis and do a search for "Comparative Religions" or any other topic.
- Wikipedia - Comparative Religions
- Theopedia - Traditional, evangelical, Protestant point of view.
Notice: Ads are not necessarily endorsed by Apologetics Central.