Notice: Sources often remove their news links after a period of time. Some of them move older stories to a subscription-only section.
Even if the story is no longer on line, our summary will still be available on this page.
The prosperity gospel in Africa
Nov. 15, 2014 -
Africans are especially attached to supernatural values. For this reason African Christianity is characterized by an intense spiritual
hunger. Nevertheless, faith on the continent is threatened by several factors, one of the most serious being the prosperity gospel.
Growing out of the 1970's Charismatic Renewal movement, many Africans left Catholicism, Protestantism,
and evangelical churches to launch so-called revivalist churches. These churches teach the prosperity gospel. The people
respond to this teaching because so many of them suffer from poverty and need the relief that these preachers promise.
- Source: Feumba Samen - World Magazine
Prosperity gospel is growing movement among churches
Jan. 30, 2010 - According to Scott L. Thumma of the Hartford Institute for Religion Research, some 20 percent of U.S. churches
hold to some form of the prosperity gospel. Pastor Dewey Friedel of the financially troubled Shore Christian Center in New Jersey
teaches that God will bless believers with material riches: money, houses, and cars.
Other famous advocates of the prosperity gospel are Joel Osteen of Texas, and Creflo Dollar of Georgia.
- The prosperity gospel's message is that material is part of the "total salvation" brought by Jesus. It comes if you believe,
and particularly if you donate one-tenth of your income to your church or give offerings to aligned ministries.
- Source: Jason Method - Asbury Park Press
- Financially troubled Shore Christian Center banking on miracles - Asbury Park Press
NewsNote: The Death of Oral Roberts
Dec. 18, 2009 - After reviewing some of Oral Roberts' many accomplishments, Albert Mohler,President of the Southern Baptist Theological
Seminary, notes that in his prime years, Roberts was the most significant agent for prosperity theology.
- Prosperity theology teaches that God promises his people financial gain and bodily health. It is a false Gospel that turns the Gospel of
Christ upside-down. The true Gospel offers forgiveness of sins and leads to a life of discipleship.
- Source: Crosswalk
Questions And Links For Prosperity Gospel
These are some of the questions that are asked about this topic. Click on the links to find helpful teaching and resources from Christian Apologists.
Prosperity Gospel Links
Notable Teachers of the Prosperity Gospel
- Gloria and Kenneth Copeland - Apologetics Index
- Copeland's false prophecy - Let Us REason
- Joel Osteen - Apologetics Index
- Preaching a False Positive With A Smile - Let Us Reason
- Become a Better You: Seven Keys to Improving Your Life Everyday - Critique by Bob Hunter - Christian Research Institute
- Wikis With Prosperity Gospel Articles
There are a number of user-edited Internet encyclopedias, known as "wikis." These may be very helpful, but because of the input of multiple editors, they may be incorrect. Go to any of these wikis and do a search for "Prosperity Gospel" or any other topic.
Wikipedia - Prosperity Theology
Theopedia - Prosperity Gospel
Notice: Ads are not necessarily endorsed by Apologetics Central.